Our History

Beginning

September 26 1949 - The Board of Directors votes to purchase a 7.5 acre parcel that will become the Christian Youth Center (CYC).  This property was located on 28th Street between Madison and Eastern Avenues.

1949

First Games

In 1950 - with no restrooms or concession stand, and with bleachers rented from the City Parks Department - softball games were played for the first time at the CYC between 18 Young Men's Society teams and 6 Young Women's Society teams.

1950

Growth and Change

The early years of the CYC saw significant growth including the addition of a second softball diamond, two basketball courts, volleyball, and shuffleboard.  Softball grew to 37 teams and a new "slow pitch" softball league was formed and grew to 16 teams.

1955

Making a Move

The CYC was full, and the board made the determination that in order to further the organizations programming they must move to a new location that offered room for more diamonds and space for the large crowds now coming to watch the games. Land was purchased at 36th St and Schaffer and the plans were immediately put into place. Thanks to the generous help of many the new location was ready for play the following summer.

1958

More Changes

In an effort to more accurately depict the organizations vision, the name was changed from the CYC to the Christian Reformed Recreation Center or "Rec Center" as many know it by today. Diamonds 4, 5, and 6 were added to the facility to manage the growing number of teams signing up for softball.

1960

Golf Comes to the Rec Center

When an opportunity opened for a par 3 golf course to be built at the facility, the facility Director knew he had to find a way to make it happen. Out of sheer will, the Stormy Creek Par 3 course was built and opened.

1970